Using buyer personas in customer-focused marketing can help a business succeed by allowing the company to create more targeted and effective marketing campaigns. Therefore, more customer-focused advertising success can be created when buyer personas are utilized effectively. Read on to learn more about how customer-focused advertising depends on perfecting your buyer persona.
What is a Buyer Persona?
Before looking deeper into how to utilize a buyer persona, it’s important to understand what the term buyer persona even means. A buyer persona is a fictionalized representation of a potential buyer or ideal customer. Though fictional in nature, it is based on actual hard data and research that you ascertain from your customers’ and is compiled of their goals, characteristics, and pain points. You can have multiple buyer personas for your business instead of just one primary one.
How Does a Buyer Persona Help in Customer-Focused Advertising?
Now that you know what the term buyer persona means, it likely makes sense that creating the right buyer personas can help you better focus your advertising efforts on the right demographic of people. The following are ways that a good buyer persona can help create more effective advertising:
When a business has a clear understanding of its buyer personas, it can create marketing messages and campaigns that speak directly to the needs, goals, and pain points of its ideal customers. This can help you as a business attract the right customers and build long-term relationships with them.
Another benefit of creating buyer personas that work for your brand is an improvement in your marketing efforts. By understanding the needs and preferences of its buyer personas, a business can create products and services that are more likely to meet the needs of its customers and in turn command higher prices.
Measure of Trust
Accurate buyer personas can create a measure of trust between buyers and your brand. When you alter your advertising and messaging to your buyer more accurately, it shows them that you get them, that you care about what they care about, and that you know them. This leads to brand loyalty and customers who trust you to provide them with products or services they can trust.
How to Create an Accurate Buyer-Persona
If you want to create an accurate buyer persona, you will have to put in some work. Read on to learn the most important elements of creating an accurate buyer persona for your brand:
It’s important to look at applicable market research. This can be a helpful starting point for your business as you get started building a buyer persona. The U.S. Census and Bureau of Labor & Statistics are both good resources as are notable research agencies like Pew. Of course, you can also conduct your own surveys informally for your existing customer base. Consider the following factors that you can learn about your customers through this research:
- Geographic location: This will determine if your customer base lives in rural areas or in cities and if they are local or international.
- Marital status, gender, and age: This will let you know what age and gender you are targeting for your products and services.
- Socioeconomic status: Are your buyer renters or homeowners? What type of income do they earn annually? This information can help you better tailor your advertising efforts.
In order to create a buyer profile, you may need to gather information from a variety of sources, including:
- Surveys: Asking current or potential customers about their demographics, behaviors, motivations, and goals can provide valuable insights.
- Interviews: Interviewing existing or potential customers can help you better understand their needs, pain points, and decision-making processes.
- Analytics: Monitoring data from your website or social media channels can provide insight into the type of content your target audience engages with and how they interact with your brand.
- Sales Data: Analyzing sales data can provide insight into your target audience's buying habits and preferences, as well as which products or services are most popular.
- Competitor Research: Understanding the messaging and strategies of your competitors can provide insights into your target audience's needs.
- Social Media: Study your target audience's social media presence to understand their lifestyle, interests, and other aspects relevant to your business.
- Public Data: Census data, surveys, and industry association reports can all be used to create buyer personas.
2. Live Research
This type of information gathering is a bit different than the research mentioned above. In live market research, you get information through live calls, either via phone, Zoom, or other. This can also include market research like those who are your social media followers. Ask them via these avenues the questions you need to know and offer an incentive for their participation in your survey.
3. Pay Attention
During your research and information gathering, pay attention and take copious notes. If you notice a phrase or word that is being repeated over and over throughout your research, write it down. Make sure you listen more than you talk.
4. Note Patterns
Once all your research is over and you have made your notes look for commonalities and patterns among your customers. Then, put all this information together to create a buyer persona. Remember, accurate research can be the difference between a buyer persona that helps you hone in your advertising efforts and one that is off the mark.
Buyer Personas Are Important
Overall, using buyer personas can help a business to be more customer-focused and create more personalized and relevant experiences for its customers, which can lead to increased customer satisfaction and loyalty. If you haven’t created accurate buyer personas or don’t know where to start when it comes to gathering the right information through research, contact us at fuze32 to learn more about how to go about this process.
We can help you create buyer personas and then help you take this information and use it to your advantage in terms of advertising to get the most bang for your advertising buck. Contact us today to learn more.